Involved in the winning selection on Stage 12, Andrey Amador Bakkazakova (Movistar Team) missed capturing the biggest win of his career when Lars Bak's (Lotto Beisol) late surge dropped Amador into third place on the day. But on the first high mountain stage of the 95th Giro d'Italia, Amador was not to be denied a win as he secured the 205 kilometer Stage 14 from Cherasco to Cervinia just ahead of breakaway companions Jan Barta (Team NetApp) and Alessandro De Marchi (Androni Giocattoli).
"It is a dream to win in the Giro, especially when it is one of the mountain stages like this," Amador told Cyclingnews. "I am proud. This victory shows that if you work, the results follow. This year I have done many things, mentally and physically."
Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin - Barracuda), who finished just off the day's podium crossing the line 20 seconds behind Amador, reclaimed the overall lead in the battle for the maglia rosa as Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha Team) was unable to keep pace in the closing kilometers.
Results - Stage 14 - Cherasco - Cervinia (205km)
1. Andrey Amador Bakkazakova (CRc) Movistar Team - 5:33:36
2. Jan Barta (Cze) Team NetApp
3. Alessandro De Marchi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli - 0:00:02
General Classification After Stage 14
1. Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Barracuda - 59:55:28
2. Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team - 0:00:09
3. Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana Pro Team - 0:00:41
4. Sandy Casar (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat - 0:01:05
5. Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale - 0:01:06
6. Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Astana Pro Team - 0:01:07
7. Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team
8. Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling - 0:01:19
9. Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre - ISD - 0:01:20
10. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox - 0:01:21
Jersey Leaders After Stage 14
maglia rosa - Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Barracuda
maglia rosso passione - Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky Procycling
maglia azzurra - Michal Golas (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quickstep
maglia bianca - Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling
Next: Stage 15 - Busto Arsizio - Lecco/Pian dei Resinelli (172km)