Boise, ID - Three-time world track champion Tara Whitten (Canada) of TIBCO - To The Top won the opening Prologue of the inaugural Exergy Tour today, finishing the two-mile (3.2-kilometer) course in downtown Boise in just over four minutes (4:09.64). It was an all-Canadian podium with Gillian Carleton of the Canadian National Team in second place, 34-hundredths of a second behind the leader, and Olympian Clara Hughes of Specialized-Lululemon in third at 4:09:98.
Kristin Armstrong, team leader of Exergy Twenty12 professional cycling team and pre-race favorite, crashed at the halfway point of the Prologue course in the 180-degree turn just beyond the Boise Train Depot. The 2008 Olympic gold medalist finished the race in obvious pain, and holding her left shoulder, just eight seconds behind the winner for 13th place.
More to come...
Results - Prologue: Boise (ITT - 3.2km)
1. Tara Whitten (Can) Team TIBCO - To the Top - 0:04:09.64
2. Gillian Carleton (Can) Canadian National Team - 0:00:00.34
3. Clara Hughes (Can) Team Specialized-lululemon
General Classification After Prologue
1. Tara Whitten (Can) Team TIBCO - To the Top - 0:04:09
2. Gillian Carleton (Can) Canadian National Team
3. Clara Hughes (Can) Team Specialized-lululemon - 0:00:01
4. Ina Yoko Teutenberg (Ger) Team Specialized-lululemon - 0:00:03
5. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Team Specialized-lululemon
6. Alison Powers (USA) NOW and Novartis for MS
7. Shara Gillow (Aus) GreenEdge-AIS - 0:00:04
8. Jade Wilcoxson (USA) Optum Pro Cycling p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies - 0:00:06
9. Trixi Worrack (Ger) Team Specialized-lululemon
10. Amber Neben (USA) Team Specialized-lululemon - 0:00:07
Photos: Leonard Basobas/LB Photos