Lac Megantic, Quebec - With her Exergy TWENTY12 teammates excelling at the US National Championships over the weekend, Canadian Rhae Shaw was not to be overshadowed as she took home the Canadian National Criterium Championship.
"I am really happy to win the Canadian National Criterium Championships today in Lac Megantic, Quebec," commented Shaw. "We had a day off of racing yesterday, which gave me time to recover from the time trial and road race so I was eager to ride hard today."
"I was definitely missing my Exergy TWENTY12 team mates, so without them I knew that I had to ride smart and make sure that I didn't spend too much effort too early in the race. With about 20 km to go, two riders (Optum and Specialized Mazda) attacked and had a decent enough gap, so I bridged across and then drove the move. We dropped the Specialized rider and I just continued to drive hard and went into "time trial mode" and sat on the front to open up the gap. With a headwind on the back side of the course, it was difficult to be on the front. But the pack was also really struggling on the front in that section, so I just continued to drive hard."
"When Annie and I had 20 seconds on the field with 6km to go I knew that it would stick, so it was nice to really enjoy the end of the race. Thanks to Felt Bicycles, Zipp Wheels, SRAM, Speedplay pedals, Catlike helmet and Pearl Izumi for the fantastic equipment and to Exergy Development Group for the great support."
Results - 2012 Canadian National Criterium Championships - Elite Women
1. Rhae-Christie Shaw (ON) Exergy TWENTY12 - 0:47:17
2. Annie Ewart (BC) Optum presented by Kelly Benefit Strategies
3. Karlee Gendron (MB) Specialized-Mazda SGC - 0:21
4. Joanie Caron (QC) Colavita-ESPNw - 0:22
5. Audrey Bernard (QC) Powerwatts-FITTIME
6. Jenny Lehmann (BC) Trek Red Truck p/b Mosaic Homes
7. Ruth McLean (ON) Powerwatts-FITTIME
8. Catherine Couture (QB) Indépendant
9. Shoshauna Laxson (BC) Trek Red Truck Racing presented by Mosaic Homes
10. Julie Lafrenière (QC) Stevens Racing presented by The Cyclery
Photo: Brian Hodes